Tuesday 5 January 2010

Put down the gun (punk)

Watching Aunty Beeb last night, the images of mute swans struggling through ice brought home the realities of life for birds at this time of year (although they also reminded me of Tom’s dip into the icy Hauxley ditch).


Although I love wildlife, I am not generally known for my great sentimentality in regards to wild things as life is “raw in tooth and claw” and things die in harsh weather such as this, etc.

However, there are things that can be done to help reduce the toll and I was really pleased to notice that the canny Scots had gone for a ban on wildfowling for 14 days. This is after all, an additional and unnecessary human impact and we must all be sick of eating bird flesh at this time of year!

Now depending upon your point of view, Northumberland is better positioned to be part of Scotland really so I thought we should follow their example, especially given the number of guns I heard this weekend.

Thus a hasty but targeted email to Natural England asking what there plans are to set a good example to the rest of the UK. I don't personally hold out much hope for this enquiry but lets see what they do. Other birders can find contact details online but I couldn't possibly encourage anyone else to do the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment